LBJ School of Public Affairs

Thinkers & Doers

LBJ SCHOOL SUMMER INTERNSHIPS

Summer Internship at CNN en Español

This summer, I am interning with the New York City bureau of CNN en Español. As the Spanish language network for CNN, CNN en Español reports on news and events for Spanish language viewers in the United States and Latin America.  The network has bureaus in New York, Washington, D.C., Atlanta, Los Angeles, Miami, Mexico City, Buenos Aires, and Jerusalem, as well as affiliates and correspondents all over the world.

Our team here in New York includes one senior producer and two correspondents, with our conversations flowing between English and Spanish. Although we are a small group, we work closely with the other CNN desks and staff on the stories of the day. In my capacity, I have helped our reporters with their editing, camera shooting, working in control room, and translation of stories from Spanish to English.

Our assignments here in the newsroom vary from one day to the next. As the sole intern at the New York desk, I have already had the opportunity to work on reports with local, national, and international impact. I’ve helped report on Colombian president Juan Manuel Santos’ visit to New York, as well as the controversial visit of Mariela Castro, daughter of Cuban president Raúl Castro, to the United States.

I look forward to this summer at CNN en Español for numerous reasons. It is a great environment to work in the areas that I am a passionate about – journalism, public policy, and U.S. – Latin American relations. I look forward to gaining more experience in journalism and the workflow of a newsroom.  This is my first experience in TV journalism, and builds upon my work in radio and print reporting. I want to strengthen my skills in camerawork, editing, and other technical aspects of news production.

Second, I look forward to learning more about those issues affecting Latin America and especially Latinos here in the United States. New York is a city of many cultures and serves as a key hub in international relations and Latin American affairs. In addition, elections are just around the corner and there will be special emphasis put on Latinos by the candidates on how they will vote. The media will play an especially important role in reporting on these trends. For me, helping tell those stories to the public will make for a fulfilling summer here at CNN en Español.

dguerra
posted by dguerra in 2012 and have Comment (1)

One Response to “Summer Internship at CNN en Español”

1. T says:

Danny–
    Looks like you are in your element where you can apply your excellent skills. Keep us posted!

Place your comment

Please fill your data and comment below.